The Democracy Collaborative, a national research and advocacy institute working to build community sustaining solutions in the face of systemic economic crisis, is hiring a Senior Editorial Associate. We’re looking for a dynamic individual with the skills and experience to help us tell the story of the growing movement to build community wealth. This position is based in the Boston area, working closely with our Senior Fellow and Executive Vice-President Marjorie Kelly.
- Reporting to the Executive Vice-President, bottomlining the research and aiding in the writing and editing of a major publication exploring key stories in the national movement to build a new paradigm of community-sustaining economic development, including carrying out site visits and interviews with leading community wealth builders.
- Assisting the Executive Vice-President with research and writing support for articles, reports, and other publications.
- Working with the Director of Communications, authoring frequent blog posts and short articles highlighting key stories from the community wealth building movement.
- Ability to multitask in a busy, non-profit environment, balancing short term tasks with long-term projects.
- Capable of working in a self-directed fashion and maintaining effective connections as a remote staff member to our larger team.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to help bring complicated social economic issues to life for a general audience with engaging storytelling.
- Editorial, research, and interviewing skills.
- Ability and willingness to engage in frequent travel.
- Excellent general communications skills.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 5+ years full time experience working in a relevant capacity, with a demonstrated portfolio of results.
- Interest in and alignment with the mission of the Democracy Collaborative. Deep knowledge of the community wealth building field is a big plus.
Application deadline: Position open until filled.
Location: There is no physical office for this position, but candidates must live in or be willing to relocate to the Boston area. Depending on the candidate’s needs, The Democracy Collaborative may cover the costs of co-working desk space to help provide a productive work location.
Length of position: Two-year commitment (contingent on satisfactory 90-day and annual review) necessary. Position can extend beyond two years by mutual agreement.
To Apply: Send résumé/CV with references, a detailed cover letter regarding your interest in and desire to make a contribution to the kind of work being done by The Democracy Collaborative, a link to a portfolio of relevant design work, and a relevant short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org including “Editorial Associate” in the subject line. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant. No phone calls please. We will contact all candidates who qualify for first-round interviews.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Job includes a generous benefits package including health care, three weeks of paid vacation per year, and an employer contribution to a 403(b) retirement plan.
The Democracy Collaborative is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.