About the Position
The Senior Associate of Advisory Services will join a dynamic and highly collaborative team that engages with groups across the country to build relationships between and within anchor institutions, foster collaboration in place and build more democratic, local economies.
The Senior Associate will manage a portfolio of work -- shepherding projects from launch to completion, while managing and completing project timelines, budgets and deliverables along the way.
This position is an exempt, collective bargaining position, within TDC’s Engaged Practice division and reports to the Director of Advisory Services.
About Advisory Services
Our Advisory Services team serves as TDC’s in-house consulting firm and works with groups of diverse stakeholders across the country to catalyze, incubate, and accelerate local place-based programs that build community wealth. Our typical clients are city governments, foundations, and non-profit organizations that are seeking to launch or strengthen place-based collaboratives that build more democratic, local economies.
At times, the Advisory Services team also takes on internal projects at TDC that involve incubating and launching new programs or supporting the growth of existing programs. The Senior Associate may play a role in leading or supporting such internal projects.
About The Democracy Collaborative
Founded in 2000, The Democracy Collaborative (TDC) is a research and development lab for the democratic economy. We work across the spectrum from theory to action, identifying and focusing on key points of leverage and scalable impact, building actionable models and pathways that can unlock a new sense of hope and possibility.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Associate will have the following general duties and responsibilities, as well as other duties that may arise based on the demands of specific projects and project deliverables:
- Design and facilitate engaging and dynamic in-person and virtual meetings and workshops
- Facilitate collaboration between diverse sets of stakeholders
- Work with the Director of Advisory Services to track project deliverables and activities along with associated costs and timeframes for purposes of accountability to internal and external stakeholders, including funders and clients
- Write and contribute to reports, shorter research briefs and blogs, presentation materials, and other communications
- Plan and manage both large and small high profile events, including budgeting, creating agendas, handling logistics, directing content, and managing key external relationships
- Perform qualitative research for advisory and other projects, such as interviews, focus groups, and data analysis
- Represent our work and build meaningful long-term relationships with a wide variety of external stakeholders, including government, C-suite business and institution leaders, nonprofit and social service agencies, banks and credit unions, philanthropies, and neighborhood or community organizing groups
- Ability to travel 5 - 6 times per year in support of project related events
Our ideal candidate will also have the following qualifications:
- Design-thinking mindset
- Comfort level with working through key aspects of a program or product design process in a fast-paced workshop environment, balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders, imagining and implementing a common way forward
- Eagerness and enthusiasm for over-communication and collaborative problem-solving
- Highly organized with an attention to detail, especially with regards to dates, time and schedules
- Experience with event planning and logistics coordination
- Comfortable with engaging multiple stakeholders at different levels and tailoring messaging to specific audiences
- A passion for influencing the influencers and bringing people together
- Direct experience with developing and implementing effective cross-sector collaborations
- Ability to meaningfully and quickly build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including the habit of active listening
- Mature interpersonal skills and strong executive presence
- Business planning, business and industry research, financial literacy, and basic marketing knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to work on high-functioning teams and move seamlessly between leading and following, including respectful collaboration and communication with lateral teammates as well as leadership
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for mission-oriented work. Must be interested in, familiar with, and enthusiastic for transformative community economic development and the work of The Democracy Collaborative
A Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of relevant work experience (e.g., community development, social enterprise/business development, planning and development) is required. Master of Business Administration or related degree preferred but not required. A strong commitment to racial equity, social and economic justice is required.
The Democracy Collaborative’s salary range for a Senior Associate starts at $57,500.
Job includes a generous benefits package including health care, three weeks of paid vacation per year, and an employer contribution to a 403(b) retirement plan.
The Democracy Collaborative Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
How to apply:
All application materials must be submitted as one PDF document, rather than as multiple attachments.
Send résumé/CV with references, a detailed cover letter regarding your interest in and desire to make a contribution to the kind of work being done by The Democracy Collaborative, and a relevant short writing sample to email@example.com. Please include “Advisory Services” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through June 21, 2019.