Director of Communications
Leveraging The Power of Anchor Institutions to Build Community Wealth
UPDATE: The Boston blizzard required rescheduling this event; it’s back on for May 8th!
On May 8th, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will host a special event to mark the release of the report The Anchor Mission: Leveraging the Power of Anchor Institutions to Build Community Wealth, featuring a panel of distinguished scholars along with municipal and institutional leaders.
The report, a joint project of the University of Maryland’s Democracy Collaborative and MIT’s Department of Urban Studies and Planning, coauthored by UMD’s Ted Howard and DUSP’s Farzana Serang and J. Phillip Thompson, and funded by the Cleveland Foundation, is an extensive case study of University Hospitals’ Vision 2010 program in Cleveland, Ohio. Based on in-depth interviews with UH and Cleveland city officials, local minority and women entrepreneurs, and trade union representatives, the report documents how UH’s ambitious five-year, billion-dollar construction project broke important new ground to find ways to connect the economic activities of the anchor institution to its local community.
In addition to welcoming remarks by Dayna L. Cunningham, the Executive Director of MIT’s Community Innovators Lab, and Adèle Naudé Santos, Dean of MIT’s School of Architecture and Planning, and opening comments from report co-authors Ted Howard and J. Phillip Thompson, the event will feature a distinguished panel of principals and experts, with:
- The Honorable Frank G. Jackson Mayor, Cleveland, Ohio
- Thomas F. Zenty, III CEO, University Hospitals
- Steven D. Standley Chief Administrative Officer, University Hospitals
- Don Graves Deputy Assistant Secretary for Small Business, Community Development and Housing Policy, U.S. Department of Treasury
- Philip Clay Professor, MIT Department of Urban Studies and Planning; Chancellor, MIT (2001-2012)
- Xavier de Souza Briggs Associate Professor, MIT Department of Urban Studies and Planning; Associate Director of Office of Management and Budget (2008-2012)
- Rebecca Henderson John and Natty McArthur University Professor, Harvard University; Harvard Business School, General Management and Strategy Units; Co-Director, the Business and Environment Initiative
- Thomas Kochan George Maverick Bunker Professor of Management, MIT; Professor of Engineering Systems; Co-Director of the Institute for Work and Employment Research at the MIT Sloan School of Management; Chair, MIT Faculty (2009)